View Single Post
Old 07-14-2008, 06:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
FF2
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Post Thanks: 0
Default Enabling or Re-enabling a Device Password and sub-settings

Please Login to Remove!

I did a quick survey using Search but there were a number of threads but I'm not sure about this and don't want to blow it.

When I first got my 8830, I believe I enabled a Password. I got tired of using it, frankly, and DISABLED it. I am reconsidering that decision but before I ENABLE a Password, I want to make sure that I don't foul this up.

When I enter the Security Options, I see the drop-down ENABLE/Disable. I do not see any place on that initial screen to actually enter a Password. I am guessing that if I pick ENABLE it will eventually prompt me for a password.

I first want to make sure that is what will happen - I will be prompted for a password.

Second and quite important, I also want to be sure that I am allowed to enter an entirely NEW PASSWORD. I don't want it re-enabling that old (and now forgotten) Password.

Next, there are the other various options such as

Prompt on Application Install
Content Compression (what's this doing - kind of ZIPping data)
CONTENT PROTECTION (what specifically is this one)
Strength
Include Addressbook
(I have NO Services)

What are these various options?

I already get occasionally pestered by Application permissions. I don't want the BB going overboard if I use the gps-puck, or some other stuff and seeking permission on everything I do or write.

Basically, what I'd like is for a Password and if it is not entered correctly X number of times, my data: contacts, calendar, memos, email accounts, etc GONE.

Frankly, the manual has not really aided me in this process.

Thanks in advance.
Offline   Reply With Quote