View Single Post
Old 08-10-2008, 04:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
nfaze

Model: 8703E
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Alltel
Post Thanks: 0
Default 8703e dropped in toilet!

Please Login to Remove!

Last night I dropped my phone in the toilet at my girlfriend's house (as the toilet was flushing), but quickly grabbed it. It was still on, but locked. I tried to push the scrool wheel in to select "unlock", but it was non-responsive. I noticed a faint blue light in the status light indicator, which I've never seen before. It was in water for no more than 1.5 to 2 seconds. I took the battery out, dabbed the water I could see with a towel, and then put it in the oven on low for about 1 minute (in 2, 30 second intervals). I put the battery back in (not knowing I shouldn't have), and the screen lit up white, but the only button that made the backlight come back on was scrolling the wheel. No button "push" brought the backlight on at all. I brought it home and put it in a zip loc bag of dry rice over night, and today I took the housing off, and I have the main board sitting on top of my DirecTV box (warm air) and will leave it there for a couple of days. When I disassembled it today, there was no visible water except for one spot right under the black backing on the top of the battery compartment (raised black square). There doesn't seem to be any corrosion. I honestly don't think that much water got on it at all. Is there anything else I should do. I haven't tried rinsing it in alcohol; should I? Would it also be worthwhile to buy a new battery, as I'm pretty sure the battery got wet as well?

Last edited by nfaze : 08-10-2008 at 04:17 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote