View Single Post
Old 08-16-2008, 08:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
dmacd
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: Orange UK
Post Thanks: 0
Default Almost sync free!

Please Login to Remove!

After using a Blackberry for a year I have almost become sync free! The one thing that I have found with all PDA's is that syncing can be a nightmare. I have had, in the past, a PocketPC device (Compaq), various Palm devices (Tungsten C, Treo 650) and a couple of Blackberry devices (8820 and 9000), and have always had major problems syncing with all the devices.

With a PocketPC device, my ActiveSync failed all the time.
With a Palm, the Palm Desktop failed at various times.
And now with a Blackberry 9000, I find Desktop Manager no longer works (I am using a VMWare machine within a Macbook Pro environment - a very esoteric setup).

I have therefore determined that I no longer wish to 'sync' anymore. I prefer to 'sync' through the 'cloud' with 3rd party software so I no longer have to rely on plugging my device into a PC anymore. I am almost there. I am using the following applications:

Tasks: BBRTM - Blackberry Remember The Milk.
Memo: IdeaMatrix to handle memos. I no longer use BB Memos
Calendar: Google Calendar Sync. It sync to the BB calendar.

The only thing left is contacts. There doesn't seem to be a 'cloud' application to handle contacts.

I am, of course, on BIS - I think BES might be able to handle syncing better. I have some friends that are on BES and they seem to never have to plug their BB's into a PC. Is that the case? If so, is BES the way to go? When I think of all the syncing problems I have had over the last 10 years, I have just come to the conclusion that I no longer wish to sync with a PC anymore. It seems to problematic.

Thanks for reading....
Offline   Reply With Quote