View Single Post
Old 08-19-2008, 09:16 PM   #16 (permalink)
ubizmo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9780
PIN: ultimate
Carrier: T-mobile
Post Thanks: 0

Unyverse, aka Upvise (http://upvise.com) supports wirelessly synced notes between BB and a web application. I've been using it for a while. It also syncs contacts, in a way. That is, it'll import your contacts from your BB and store them on the web client, but as far as I know the only way to get contacts back into your BB Address book is manually.

This is, of course, another area where the Sidekick outshines the BB, and most other devices. Right from the very first model in 2002, all Sidekick contacts, notes, browser bookmarks, calendar and to-do entries are constantly synced to the web-based Desktop Interface. This doesn't require a special, more expensive account. It is part of the basic service. You can also configure it to auto-sync up to 2 MB of photos to the Desktop Interface. This feature was more useful when the Sidekick camera was smaller and image files were smaller.

This isn't a rant, but there is something important here. Now that RIM is marketing more consumer-oriented devices, Outlook sync isn't the only game in town. A lot of people just want to be able to access their data easily online, without fooling around with cables etc. Not only that, travelers could find themselves in places without data roaming agreements, but they could still get to an internet cafe.

A few posts back, Vincent Liou inserted a quiet advert for his service, ThinkPost. I haven't looked into it, but I'd expect that this sort of thing will get some traction in the BB community.
Offline   Reply With Quote