View Single Post
Old 09-11-2008, 10:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
ArjayCT

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Post Thanks: 0
Default Setup 8700c on TMOB, no data plan

Please Login to Remove!

I just picked up an unlocked Cingular-branded 8700c that I'd like to use on T-Mobile. But I don't need push email or any other BB-specific features, I just wanted it for a decent screen and a QWERTY keyboard.

I had TMOB Web on my old Razr and it did everything I needed, but the lack of a QWERTY keyboard was really annoying.

I popped in my SIM and I can place/receive calls. But there seems to be a lot of setup to do, and I was hoping somebody might have done this before and have some tips.

For starters, the phone seems to think that it's in another area code. I have to dial the AC even for local calls. Also, I've done some searches and it looks like some folks have installed the TMOB 8700g software to get T-Mobile branding (except for the ROM-based Cingular splash screens) and access to T-Zones. But it seems like in some cases installing it could cause the BB to become locked to Cingular again.

I guess there's a lot of debate over whether not not T-Zones or T-Mobile Web (the $5.99 plan) can be used for WAP access, either with the built-in browser or with Opera Mini. If it can't, this puppy's going back, because that's why I bought it.

I'm having some trouble installing Desktop Manager too, I get a “Database server not found. Verify the provided information” error.

If anybody has actually set up their 8700c on TMOB without a data plan and can help me out with any of this, I sure would be grateful.

TIA, Arjay
Offline   Reply With Quote