View Single Post
Old 10-22-2008, 03:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
wu-wei
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: A GADDA DA VIDA
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Post Thanks: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogman View Post
Cool - had a look on the website - it looks good - although a bit pricey?

I work in a bank that's paranoid about security - does anyone know when my PC is connected to our corporate network if my Outlook will be able to connect to SyncMeMobile? I know you can't answer for my particular situation - but in general does it work from behind corporate firewalls. If it doesn't, then its not a lot of use as I won't be able to access new data in Outlook during the day?
Depends what you're trying to do.

If you're looking for a way to sync your work Outlook/Exchange info with your BB without using the corporate BES, that can be very difficult and require goofy syncing kludges.

You could, I suppose, create a separate profile for accessing the hosted Exchange through the Outlook installation at work, but then you'd be switching between profiles all day, and I don't know how easy it would be to keep things in sync. Maybe through a local PST file? Then you'll be copying back and forth, trying to sync. Sounds like a headache.

If you're looking to maintain a separate personal Outlook with BES, then a hosted Exchange will work. I'm able to access my syncmemobile account through an OWA interface, rather than through an Outlook profile.

Personally, I've done the following:

Export all my relevant work data to a PST file, which I then imported into my home Outlook account (which syncs with my hosted Exchange). That took care of the bulk transfer of existing appointments, contacts and tasks.

To keep things current, I just forward new appointments to my syncmemobile account from my work Outlook. I manage contacts and tasks differently (I don't use tasks for my work account, so that's easy. Contacts are my own personal nightmare. It's more of the same PST importing, but on a weekly/monthly/whenever-I-remember basis).

So yeah, I'll stop rambling now. You could access your hosted Exchange info through OWA.
Offline   Reply With Quote