View Single Post
Old 11-25-2008, 11:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T
Post Thanks: 1
Default New Instructions in the Stickies for Upgrading OS's

Please Login to Remove!

Many of you will notice that I have updated the instructions in all the "Latest OS" sticky threads. Instructions for downloading and using Desktop Manager to update the OS have been removed.

Every OS installation file installs with a copy of "Loader.exe" which will run Application Loader all by itself without Desktop Manager. This Loader.exe will do the backup, install the OS and restore the backup, just as Desktop Manager would. You can use it to "add" 3rd party software and doesn't change the procedure used for removing .cod's that I have listed in my Memory Optimization thread.

The main reason for this change is due to the Automatic BlackBerry Update feature new in Desktop Manager 4.7. This feature looks to the internet for new device software (carrier specific) and actually loads another hidden vendor.xml file in some cases and will prevent installed OS's from loading to the BlackBerry even though the user deleted the normal vendor.xml. There have been a LOT of "My BB won't update" complaints in the forum recently and this should eliminate many of those. Also, using Loader.exe makes the process simpler by requiring only one download, thus eliminating the confusion of the two downloads for DM and the OS.

Comments?
Offline   Reply With Quote