View Single Post
Old 11-26-2008, 10:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
ljordanm

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Post Thanks: 0
Default Retrieving POP mail using web based mail

Please Login to Remove!

I have a Blackberry 8830, which I bought so I could access POP email while on the road without carrying around a big laptop. Previously I had been using the laptop to go to Yahoo or Excite and pick up my POP mail from my ISP's. For a couple of reasons I don't want the Blackberry pushing POP mail to my device: One reason is that I have to turn the feature on and off every time I go out of town. The other is the large amount of SPAM I receive and the time it takes to delete them on this little, limited device. The webmail sites have SPAM filtering, but I don't see that on Blackberry.

I first tried Yahoo webmail and could get the POP mail, but the mobile version of Yahoo is "dumbed down" in functionality and does not respect the POP mail preferences I set up. It therefore picks up tons of duplicate emails which are very laborious to delete (ONE AT A TIME, no "Select All"). I asked about this on this forum and someone said that Opera would view the webpage the same way as the laptop and allow me to zoom in and out. I did this and it worked fine. For awhile. However, in the last few months somebody at Yahoo did something and I no longer have an option to choose the "classic" or "mobile" version. I get only the "dumbed down" mobile version.

I have since tried to use Excite.com, which I used to use before Yahoo. On Excite I also get a mobile version and have no choice about which version I want to use. With Excite I can't even find the menu choice which picks up the POP mail.

I must be missing something. The Yahoo and Excite webmasters seem to be writing the website's HTML code so that my device has no choice, but does Opera have some way of overcoming this? If not, does anyone have any other advice as to how I can accomplish my goal? I just want to simply pick up my POP mail from the Blackberry, leaving the emails on the server, not picking up duplicates and be able to delete email in bulk using "Select All". I don't mind using Blackberry's mail system but I don't want emails pushed to the Blackberry except when I intentionally retrieve them.

Any ideas would be appreciated. I am about ready to throw out the Blackberry and go back to the old laptop.
Offline   Reply With Quote