Is there anybody that can post here that has used an Omnia and a BB (preferably a Storm) and give us a real-world comparo?
I have had my Pearl for about 9 months and love it. I was really looking forward to upgarding to the Storm. But, the initial release has some well-document problems. My brother mentioned to me today to check out the Omnia and, after reading several reviews, it is starting to look nicer than the Storm.
If you're like me and have been keeping up on the Storm, but don't really know about the Omnia, here are some key points about the Omnia (in my opinion):
- runs Windows Mobile 6.1
- WM6.1 means it has the best phone integration with Outlook/Exchange, Word, and Excel.
- It's roughly 0.2 inches shorter, 0.2 inches narrower, and a teeny, tiny bit thinner than the Storm.
- It's over a full ounce lighter than the Storm.
- It has WiFi built in.
- 5 MP camera, w/auto-focus, image stabilization, LED flash, and face recognition (and will record video).
- built-in accelerometer and has auto-screen rotation (which can be switched off).
- Bluetooth (including Stereo support)
- built-in FM radio.
- built-in 8GB of storage (they make a 16GB version, too).
- EVDO Rev A
- MicroSD slot with 16GB support.
- touch screen includes QWERTY, SureType, and MultiTap support. I think you can even use QWERTY in Portrait mode.
- Comes with Internet Explorer and Opera Mini installed. Flash Lite 2.1 is supported and you can get 3rd party apps to support Flash Lite 3. IOW, you may have to use 3rd party software, but you CAN watch full-on YouTube videos.
- Has an optical "mouse", which lets you swipe your finger/thumb around on it to control the on-screen cursor. (after playing with a Storm, I was *seriously* wishing it had a trackball like my Pearl)
- built-in GPS with A-GPS support
- camera supports geotagging of pictures.
- as all WM devices, it supports Push email.
In other words, I can't find anything about the Storm that the Omnia doesn't seem to equal or better. What am I missing?
Verizon 8130 (on the bench, now
Verizon 9530 (replaced by VZW 4 times, then with a 9550)
Last edited by StuartV : 12-01-2008 at 04:35 PM.