Thread: Best phone ever
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2008, 10:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
MikeK5117

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-mobile
Post Thanks: 0
Default Best phone ever

Please Login to Remove!

I have had a Storm 9530 on Verizon since last weekend. After 9 years with T-Mobile I was not very happy with Verizon's policy of locking the GPS, charging high rates for BIS, SMS, etc. So last night I followed the proceedure on Crackberry to fully enable the T-Mobile features (my company has a corporate Verizon account so I got the unlock code no problem).

Now I have the best phone I have owned to date. This includes having purchased and sold 2 iPhones. With my TMo sim installed, I can use my regular TMo number and BIS internet (Edge is not that much slower than the 3G, at least in my area) and with a few clicks on the touch screen I can switch the phone back to my companies Verizon account (phone only, no internet or BB features). We don't use BES and if we did I would access it through TMo as well.

Everything works as claimed other than the Verizon specific features such as visual VM, etc. Google Maps and other GPS apps are magically able to access the GPS but can't when using the Verizon CDMA (even with the phone unlocked the GPS connection on works when using the GSM, figure that).

I am still not fully comfortable with the typing and of course not having a physical keyboard makes some of the shortcuts more difficult to use, but that is typical touch-screen conversion stuff. I may find that a few days/weeks of no keyboard will force me back to my 8800 series as it did with the iPhone but at least right now I am a very happy camper. Just having all my email (personal and business), IM's, SMS's, etc all show up on one common screen is worth the price of the phone and one of my main reasons for sticking with BB.
Offline   Reply With Quote