View Single Post
Old 11-10-2005, 12:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T
Post Thanks: 0

writergal, you have to forgive ace_2005. he's an employee for RIM's competition, Good Technology (developers of GoodLink). he rarely, if ever, has anything constructive to say. i've given him a permanent break from being a part of these forums.

as for service in the United States being disabled, there's a few things to keep in mind (atleast these are my understandings). 1) the United States government will not be affected by the court ruling, should it be ruled against RIM; 2) the United States government access the RIM network for email using the same method that normal users, business and consumer; 3) since there is no differentiation between government and non-government accounts, in terms of network access, there's no real way of RIM shutting down services for non-government accounts without affecting the government accounts; 4) a reasonable amount of time would have to be given to place any sort of mechanism or technology in order to provide a non-interruption of service to said non-affected government accounts.

hope that makes sense. i doubt very seriously that we'll be seeing such an injunction on service (perhaps sales, though) any time in the near-term future. i doubt some of our government counterparts would care to see that either. and let's not mention that United States carriers (T-Mobile, Cingular, Sprint/Nextel, Verizon) are pushing these devices heavily. T-Mobile now has almost 700,000 BlackBerry users, including almost 10% (almost 70,000) in the last quarter alone! Cingular (8700c) and Sprint/Nextel (7100i) have new devices debuting in November (either currently out or due out in just over a week) with Verizon (7130e) having their new devices released in December; and T-Mobile (8700t) following within the first 3 months of 2006. i doubt the leaders of a multi-billion dollar industry would put this much effort into a product and service that would soon be spinning in the toilet. i put a lot more merit into those companies' understanding of the situation rather than that of market and news analysts, or even that of competitors who post on BlackBerry-centric forums for no good reason (no pun intended).