View Single Post
Old 01-09-2009, 01:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Steve66
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8350i
Carrier: Nextel
Post Thanks: 0
Angry Internet vs Hotspot Browser on 8350i

Please Login to Remove!

I've got an 8350i...one of the new Curve models with Nextel service and WiFi capability running the 4.6 OS. I'm joined to my organization's WiFi network, the home screen says "NEXTEL - My SSID Name", and the little WiFi icon is highlighted. I can ping internal hosts using the 'WiFi Tools' utility, so I know the WiFi connection is working fine. I've been reading that, when you have the browser set to "Internet Browser", it's supposed to use your WiFi connection first and only use the cellular data service if there is no WiFi connection.

Unfortunately, that's not true. You can check this out yourself by going to What Is My IP Address? - IP Address Lookup, Internet Speed Test, IP Info, plus more from your BlackBerry and seeing what it reports as your IP address. In my case, with the browser set to "Hotspot Browser", this site correctly reports the IP address as my organization's natted external IP. If I switch to "Internet Browser" however, it reports 206.53.144.154 (not my organization's external IP). If "Internet Browser" is supposed to automatically use WiFi when available, then it should have reported the same IP as when I used "Hotspot Browser".

Beyond the obvious (you're not using your presumably-faster WiFi connection for internet access), it also means you can't access internal (intranet) hosts without manually switching to the "Hotspot Browser".

Is there any way to get the BlackBerry to use an actively connected WiFi link first, and only use the data plan connection if there is no WiFi?

- Steve -
Offline   Reply With Quote