View Single Post
Old 01-20-2009, 02:37 PM   #30 (permalink)
pretzelb
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: sprint
Post Thanks: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
The basic level of encryption with the Blackberry OS is 2048 bit. That's some serious sh!t. Even the NSA needed a back door installed at RIM (remember those BB outages last year?) in order to get BB users' information in a timely fashion. So if the NSA needed help, I'd call the Blackberry pretty much "hack proof".
But wasn't the BB deemed not secure enough by the Secret Service for Obama to keep his? Nothing is really hack proof.

There are two keys to this - physical and remote access to the device. If you lose the device physically then your only hope is password protect it just like any device. As far as remote access goes, it all depends if there is a way to remote connect to the device. I assume there is a way to do this for every phone since any decent corporate mobile offering will have a way to not only update devices remotely but also wipe them remotely in case of theft.

Actually there is another option I hadn't thought of - the reading of what is transmitted via the phone. I have no clue on this but I would imagine there are ways to read what is said or transmitted by a phone unless the phone encrypts everything. Or maybe that is just in spy movies.
Offline   Reply With Quote