View Single Post
Old 02-04-2009, 11:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
copout221
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8350i
Carrier: Nextel / Sprint
Post Thanks: 0
Thumbs down Otterbox is damaging my 8350I

Please Login to Remove!

I put my 8350i inside a brand new Otterbox (new design) that I received three days ago. I absolutely loved this case until several people told me they could hear an echo and I sounded like I my voice was muffled. So today I took the case off and began to inspect it carefully to determine if there was anything I could do to fix the echo and microphone issues. As I looked at the screen of my BB I noticed some scratches up near the status light. After looking closer the scratches looked like the number 2 I was very upset since I just got this new BB last week and couldn't wait for the Otterbox to arrive so I could protect it. I carefully inspected the inside of the case that sits on the screen and noticed a raised number 2 that was molded into the plastic of the Otterbox. This is what is causing the damage to the screen of my BB.
I sent an EMail to Otterbox about this issue and haven't heard anything back yet. I decided to attempt to polish the scratches with Meguires Scratch X for clear plastic and it helped but the impression is still visible. After some careful thinking I grabbed my trusty drummel tool and used it to grind the raised 2 off of the Otterbox case so nothing is raised up above the surface. In addition, I noticed that there is another area of raised boxes (like a checkerboard) on the opposite side of the case that could potentially cause more damage to the screen of my BB. Basically, I was able to remove the raised areas on the plastic that were resting on the screen to my phone. I fairly certain this will stop any future damage but nothing is guaranteed.

I would suggest anyone reading this who has an Otterbox takes it off and inspects it immediately. You may be in for a surprise when you see the impression in the screen of your phone. Others may not care but I am very picky and I bought this $50.00 case to avoid damage, not cause it !!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00014-20090204-1148.jpg (442.9 KB, 239 views)
Offline   Reply With Quote