View Single Post
Old 02-08-2009, 09:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
el_sheepo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: -
Post Thanks: 0
Default ShangMail: free push e-mail without BIS

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

I discovered a free application yesterday which will let you use real push e-mail on your BlackBerry without BIS or BES. It's a Chinese product called ShangMail and an English version is now available (I don't speak Chinese myself, but I read that it is one of the best known push e-mail service in China).

What makes it truely amazing, is that it integrates with the native e-mail client, i.e. you can receive and send e-mail in / from the standard BlackBerry e-mail box, send an e-mail from the address book, send images as attachments and so on. This means it does NOT use its own e-mail application (just a tiny app is running in the background to hold up the connection to the ShangMail server) but the real, native BlackBerry mail client. New mail arrives within 1-2 minutes and the whole thing is very reliable.

It supports up to 5 POP and IMAP accounts which you can easily add via their web interface or directly on the phone. There are also quite a few options, for instance you can chose between push delivery and polling for new mail. If you're using IMAP, make sure that you don't have too many messages in your inbox though, for that could result in lengthy delays.

This product is absolutely amazing and it's free to use!

You can sign up for free here:

ShangMail--Mobile Email Expert

Important: To send e-mail, you will need to install a e-mail service book on your BB (which you normally won't have if you don't have BIS or BES). Contact their support via e-mail, and they will send you this service book for free (their support is amazing inspite of it being 100% free).

The only downfall compared to BIS I discovered so far (and I think I had a close look) is that attachments cannot be viewed directly from a message. But you can still download and open them afterwards. This is the same as with the BlackBerry redirector and shouldn't be a big issue to most of us.

P.S.: Also have a look at this web page to unlock the BlackBerry Browser without BIS or BES: Home ‎(BlackBerry Without BIS‎). The author offers free service books for both the browser and e-mail, so you can also use his e-mail service book to send mail instead of writing to the support team.

Last edited by el_sheepo : 02-08-2009 at 09:57 AM.
Offline   Reply With Quote