BBFileScout Browsing the file system of your BB - copy, move, rename, (un)zip or delete files & directories and much more!
I would like to use the opportunity to present an application that I have written for the all BB with OS 4.3 or higher (sorry no support for 4.2.1 devices) [successfully tested (by other users and myself) with 8110, 8310, 8330, 8800, 8820, 8830, 9000 & 9500]. Core Features
Some files on a BB devices have some sort of DRM (DigitalRightsManagement). Cause of this it could be, that the files can not be copied, moved. BBFileScout will give you a warning information once you try to copy a file that have 'encrypted content' - BBFileScout will mark these files with a "lock" symbol. Additionally it could be the case, that even deleting of this content is not possible.
- BBFileScout allows you to browse the file system of your BB (including hidden files)
- Create directories, copy, move, rename or delete files
- Zipping files or complete directory structures
- Extracting Zip archives (incl. structures)
- Furthermore BBFileScout supports copying and deleting of complete directory structures
- You can open all (by your Blackberry supported) media files
- Register additional file types with other (3'rd party) applications (like pdf's)
- BBFileScout allows you to open files (like ini, xml, etc.) as plain text, so you are able to edit, mark, copy & paste text fragments of these files that normally can't be opened with your Blackberry. This can become very valuable when you receive eMail attachments that are not native supported by your Blackberry
- With BBFileScout you can delete pre installed wallpapers, videos and ringtones in order to free memory on your device*** - but please note, that once they are deleted the only way to get them back is to hard reset your device!
- More to come...
BBFileScout is pay-what-you-want
: if you find the application useful day by day and you want that I am able to invest more of my time into the development of this application, then please be so kind and send me a little donation - details at the BBFileScout Homepage
- TIA. Features What you can do with BBFileScout
- Browse over the file system of your BlackBerry device
- Show hidden files and directories (indicated by grey name)
- Show 'encrypted content' (indicated by a lock icon)
- Creating new directories
- Copy a file from one folder to another - to do so:
- select a file in any directory
- choose Store '[SourceFile]' on Stack from the menu
- browse to the target folder
- select Copy '[SourceFile]' to '[CurrentDir]' from the menu.
- Move files* (in the same way as copy a file)
- Renaming existing files*
- Delete existing files [even ones that are preinstalled (like wallpapers or ringtones)]*, ***
- Copy complete directory structures (including all it's content) in the same way as single files can be copied
- Move complete directory structures (including all it's content) in the same way as single files can be moved
- Delete directories with all its content (recursive)*
- Unpack ZIP-Archives (including directory structures)
- Create a ZIP-Archive from a selected file
- Create a ZIP-Archive from a selected directory (including all it's content/recursive)
- Opening Media-Files**:
- Audio: W4A|AAC|MP3|WAV|AU3|MID|WMA
- Video: MPEG|AVI|MP4|3GP
- Image: JPG|PNG|GIF|TIFF|SVG|BMP
- Office (requires installed "Office to go"): DOC|XLS|PPT
- Other: TXT|HTML
- Opening custom registered files:
- BBFileScout allows you to associate own file extensions with custom applications (like you might know it from other OS)
- Simply enter the extension [without '.' (dot)] in the BBFileScout-Options
- Once such an associations is configured (via BBFileScout options) you could open any file type with any application that you have registered****
- Opening Files in a SimpleTextViewer:
- You can open small files (smaller then 250KiB) in plain text mode - This enables you to open XML's, INI's or any kind of script files (or any other files) in your BlackBerry
- Once the file is opened, you can mark/select text and copy it into the clipboard (to use it where ever you like or need it)
- Opening Files in a SimpleTextEditor:
- Once it's enabled in the options you can edit the text files that you have opened in the SimpleTextEditor. But BBFileScout is still far away from becoming a fully functional text editor (that might change in further releases).
- by default all files will be open with UTF-8 character encoding
- Re-read file with different encodings:
- Re-read file with 'UTF-8' encoding
- Re-read file with 'ISO-8859-1' encoding
- Re-read file with 'UTF-16BE' encoding
- Re-read file with 'US-ASCII' encoding
- Save File
- Save File as...
- both 'save' functions will use UTF-8 encoding
- Confirm Exit of BBFileScout
- Confirm Delete of files & directories
- Show hidden files & directories
- Sort directory content [will separate directories and files from each other and sort them by name (case insensitive)]
- Allow editing in SimpleTextViewer
- Custom file associations
- Key short cuts:
- [C|V]: (C)opy to Clipboard [store the actual selected file/dir on the Stack]
- [O|P]: (P)aste from Clipboard [copy the current file on the stack to the current directory]
- [M]: (M)ove from Clipboard [move the current file on the stack to the current directory]
- [DEL|Backspace]: (Del)ete file/directory
- [A|S]: (A)rchive file/directory
- [E|R]: (R)rename file/directory
- [D|F]: Create NEW (d)irectory
- [T|Z] [T|Y]: (T)ext mode Edit [open the current file in the simple text viewer/editor]
- More to come...
* Deleting or renaming files from your Blackberry can harm the core functionality of the device - use this function at your own risk!
** Not all media types might be supported by your device
*** Some files on a Blackberry device are marked as "BuildIn" - unfortunately most of the time it's not possible for BBFileScout to delete this type of files.
**** The 3'rd party application itself have to support to be started with an file as additional command line parameter (this is quite usual in other OS's but I do not know much about 3'rd party Blackberry applications right now) - It's e.g. successfully tested with 'RepliGo Reader' (and 'pdf' as custom file association) License/Price
BBFileSout is offered on a 'pay-what-you-want
' base - This means that the software that you can download is fully functional. It comes without any functional restrictions or evil things like a nag-screen. If you are going to use this application then please be so fair and send me a donation - what ever you think the application is worth and of course what ever you can (or will) afford to pay. Installation
You will find the download link (incl. OTA) at the BBFileScout Homepage Additional Notes
Once again: Deleting or renaming files from your Blackberry can harm the core functionality of the device - use this function at your own risk! - Don't blame me, if you have bricked your BB.
- Please Note: Some files on a BB devices have some sort of DRM (DigitalRightsManagement). Cause of this it could be, that the files can not be copied, moved. BBFileScout will give you a warning information once you try to copy a file that have 'encrypted content' - BBFileScout will mark these files with a "lock" symbol. Additionally it could be the case, that even deleting of this content is not possible.
- Even if I own a Storm myself there is no extra TouchScreen support (yet) - this means it will work on a Strom like on any other BB-Device.
- Some parts/files in the '/system' and '/store' folders might reappear after a battery pull - The device seams to auto restore some of the files.
Looking forward for your comments