View Single Post
Old 03-13-2009, 05:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
jcmtyler
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile
Post Thanks: 0

Ok so what I was thinking of as "Hotspot@Home" is really what T-Mobile now calls on their website "Unlimited Hotspot Calling", which is where your UMA calls (made over wifi) will not charge against your normal monthly minutes. So with a UMA-enabled phone I can make calls over wifi, but they will still go against my monthly max (e.g. 1000 minutes) UNLESS I have Unlimited Hotspot Calling.

Is there a difference between that and T-Mobile's regular $9.99 Hotspot service, which you mentioned below? In other words, if I pay an extra $9.99 a month, I should be able to connect via wifi at Starbucks using my laptop, or make unlimited UMA calls using my 8900, is that correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvaskelis View Post
Well, not exactly.

The "HotSpot" feature is something totally different. If you have this feature, then you'll get an ID and password that you can use to login to T-Mobile HotSpots with any device, typically a laptop. Note that a T-Mobile USA UMA-capable phone will connect to T-Mobile HotSpots for UMA (voice/data/BlackBerry) regardless if you have the "HotSpot" feature or not. I said UMA, which means if you have T-Mobile USA data services, like BIS/BES, then you can get email or web browsing on a T-Mobile HotSpot without any feature code. But, you won't get an IP address for HotSpot web browsing, since you don't have a HotSpot account, but you can browse the web through BIS/BES.
Offline   Reply With Quote