View Single Post
Old 12-07-2005, 06:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
markhutchison
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8330
Carrier: Bell Mobility
Post Thanks: 0
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneToronto
isn't it another year before Rogers actually releases the 8700?
The 8700r is on sale with Rogers now (had one in my hand a few minutes ago) for $499.99 on a 36 month term.
---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolan
I take it the cellphone companies are not going to let people easily get around buying an EVDO card for their laptop and a BIG data plan by getting an EVDO blackberry and using that as a modem. If one could get compressed data through a BES and be billed less and have an unlimited plan* (is there in the world a truly unlimited Data plan for the BB???)
Bell Mobility has just released new BlackBerry Data rates to support the new tethering capabilities of the 7130e (and soon the 7250).

Monthly Rates | Data Volume | Additional Volume | Laptop-Internet Bridge
$25 | 0.5MB | $30/MB | $12/MB
$40 | 1.0MB | $ 8/MB | $ 8/MB
$60 | Unlimited* | N/A | $ 6/MB
$100 | Unlimited* | N/A | Unlimited*

Where the * denotes that Bell Mobility reserves the right to limit usage upon abuse. From what I have been told, Bell Mobility has never exercised this right. See the following Website for details on the new data rates:

http://www.businessonthego1.com/engl...blackberry.asp
---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolan
Has anyone gotten confirmed connection speeds of the EVDO blackberry?
I have seen a laptop running an EvDO card get right around 1 Mb downstream and about 800 Kb upstream. The test was run mid afternoon in Toronto so it should be a fairly realistic expectation. I have been given feedback on cards hitting around 1.5 Mb for downstream in off-peak times.
---

Last edited by markhutchison : 12-07-2005 at 07:00 PM.