Ok, here's what I did. I went to a previous backup, about a week ago, and restored the Storm from that. There, I was able to get most of my apps back, but not from the backup I created just before I upgraded the OS. Weird, but it worked. OTA still hasn't been avail for us in MT. System is very fast now, and even the browser works great. Also, re-registering with the network did wonders as well for my speed. Just a few tidbits I thought I would share after a frustrating day doing all of this. Thanks to all who helped along the way.
Now...on to my wife's Storm....uh, I think I'll have HER do her own!