View Single Post
Old 08-18-2009, 03:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Post Thanks: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smacca View Post
Thanks for that... at this stage I'm so desperate I'd buy a wi-fi router in the US or Canada and ship it over here and connect it by wire to my existing router -- if I thought that would work. Maybe I'll go and by a Belkin or Netgear or Linksys router here in Europe, just to see. I might as well buy an 'N' one (even though, as far as I can tell, the BB uses only b/g), unless blackberryforums users advise me against that...
Draft N routers used to cause problems. In fact that was one way to about guarantee an issue. But that seems to have gone away with more recent OS versions. So I'm not sure anymore. If you can, try to find another router to try out and narrow down a problem with the phone or router. It could still be the phone and you'd just have bought a router for nothing.

Other things that caused problems were proprietary methods of boosting speed and certain model routers or router OS versions. Plain old g routers used to be most likely to work.

Having said that, there are a whole lot fewer complaints these days so it's hard to tell if there are the same issues with N routers or non-g routers.
Offline   Reply With Quote