View Single Post
Old 08-31-2009, 02:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA
Post Thanks: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preroll View Post
Thanks. That's what I was curious to find out. It's still kind of disconcerting that applications need access to the user data. Some work without it but most won't function with it set to deny. Obviously if it's an application that needs to access your contacts then it's understandable but there are others that don't so in that case I would assume there are other files needed under user data that it may need?
Some applications provide added value from accessing your data, if you want what they do for you. The Facebook contact list interface is a good one. You can say no and the remainder of facebook continues to work.

What is really frustrating, especially with the Wordpress app, is that they have the framework to detect that the user said "No" to a particular permission, and then avoid functions that need it. Instead they (as of my last download) crash.

I forgot to mention before that you can, of course, set the defaults on your personal device to be more restrictive and keep all third party apps out of your PIM data, if that is what you want.