Here is what I experienced and the outcome:
1. Used phone all day long. By 11:00 p.m., it's giving me a low battery LED.
2. I have no wall charger, so I try to put it on standby mode.
3. Next morning, I try to bring it back to life. Says it's out of juice and shutting down. Apparently standby did nothing to preserve battery.
4. Tried for the rest of the day to get it to charge on a USB cable connected to a PC. No dice. It would alternate between the red LED with a black/blank screen, and then no LED with a white screen showing the charging battery/lightning bolt symbol. If I tried to power it on during this, nothing would happen; just keep alternating. Also tried popping the battery. Nothing.
5. Brought it home and plugged it into its native wall charger for about an hour. Checked it, and it was showing the clock. Huge sigh of relief.