View Single Post
Old 12-03-2009, 02:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
The Sand
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9810
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Post Thanks: 4
Default Don't Upgrade Column View Bad in OS 4.6 or Higher

Please Login to Remove!

I went from a Curve 8310 OS 4.5 to a Bold 9700 and had to return it.

If you like "Column View" in OS 4.5 beware as it changes in all Blackberries with OS 4.6 or higher and that includes the Tour.

RIM changed the parameters for Column View and you can no longer see it well even if you set the font to it's highest setting (for a Bold that was 14.) Currently my Curve 8310 is set on font 10 and reads larger and sharper than the Bold.

Also beware it is slower. My old Curve beat the 9700 with 3G or EDGE. It didn't matter which network setting - my Curve beat it. I set them both in "Column view" for the test. Due to the new parameters for the Bold - it is loading more content (even in Column View) - you can't "see" the content as well but it is still loading it... thus I believe that is why the slower speed - more content woud take longer to load. But I could be wrong - it's slower that's all I know.

We bought Bold's for everybody in the home and had to return them all.

I wanted to pass this along for anybody thinking of upgrading becasue it was a real disappointment as well as a lot of work.

I did successfully upgrade my Curve from 4.2 to 4.5 and was very happy. This time I obviously would not be happy rolling with 4.6 which is on the new Tour. Because it has the exact same column view issue - I checked when at the store. So I will not upgrade this time and wanted to pass this along for anybody thinking of doing it. So you will know.

Beware - you don't know how good you have it if you are rolling 4.5!

Sandy

Last edited by The Sand : 12-03-2009 at 02:46 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote