The saga continues.... This morning I completely removed all the software (down to JVM 507).
Before doing an enterprise activation, I sent a PIN message to the device and POOF - the phone number was underlined and I could click on it!
So then I started the EA and sent him a test email. The test email was received on the device, but the phone numbers were not clickable - AGAIN! I then sent another PIN message to it and the phone number in that one was also not clickable. WTF?
So now I'm wiping it again as I believe it's something to do with his account on the BES (the account has not yet been removed/re-added on the BES thru any of this).
We had set up a BIS account for this device to test the phone numbers for that account (which also failed) so before I re-EA it again, I want to test sending email to the BIS account and see what the phone numbers look like. I am assuming that will work, but am just curious to try it.
After that I am going to remove/re-add him on the BES and try again. I hate doing that since it removes all of the wireless backup stuff, but he doesn't use Password Keeper, and that's the only thing he'd really lose (data-wise) by losing his wireless backup.
No longer a BES Admin, but it was fun while it lasted!