View Single Post
Old 01-08-2006, 09:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
sfla99
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T
Post Thanks: 0
Default Interesting, 8700 on the net tracks as a search engine robot.

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all,

While not important, just an interesting bit. So I was reviewing analytics of an ecommerce site I web master and while reviewing statistics I noticed that in the search engine referrals, more importantly the robots indexing of the site was the display 8700C.

Typically the only thing this particular portion of analytics would display is the various spiders that index web sites (robots), but low and behold there is 8700C sitting in their, so I wonder why browsing the site from my BB makes the site think its a search engine indexing instead of an actual browser.

The tool I was using was Urchin Web Analytics which is an incredibly comprehensive tool for those that know of it and those whome do not, it basically tells you everything about your site that could need, users computers, screen res, OS versions, background colors, refferels, ROI, PPC campaign info I mean everything, it can probably even tell you what the user had for dinner its so comprehensive hehe.

Anyways, I just thought I would share since I found it rather odd that the 8700C comes through as a Spider in a sense.

Cheers!