View Single Post
Old 02-01-2010, 08:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
ubizmo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9780
PIN: ultimate
Carrier: T-mobile
Post Thanks: 0
Default Storm 2 on T-Mobile: bottom line?

Please Login to Remove!

I've read through the entire stickied thread on getting the Storm to work on ATT and T-Mobile. In fact, I posted in that thread, because last August, I bought an unlocked Storm 1 and tried to get it to work on T-Mobile. In the end, I couldn't get it to hold EDGE, no matter what suggestions I tried, so I sold it and went back to my 8900. But I did enjoy the large screen for the short time that I had it, and now I'm getting the urge to get a Storm 2 and try it. Since August 2009, the OS has changed at least twice. What I don't know is whether the Storm 2 hardware and newer OS are better at holding T-Mobile's EDGE. The vast majority of posts in that stickied thread are by and for ATT subscribers. It's hard for me to get a sense of how successful T-Mobile subscribers have been with the Storm 2. That's why I'm starting this thread.

I note that as late as December 23, in that thread JSanders stated that certain applications that don't use BIS, such as Poynt, eBay, and some others, might be the cause of unstable EDGE issues. Well, I use Poynt, eBay, Upvise, Facebook, WeatherBug, YouMail, Google Maps, UberTwitter, Stitcher, Wunder Radio, Pandora, BeeJive, OperaMini 5, Xenozu, Bolt...I don't know which ones use BIS and which don't.

As much as I'd like a large-screen device again (before the 8900 I had a Sidekick LX), I don't want to have to give up a bunch of the apps that I like to use. I can deal with not being able to use the 3G capability of the Storm 2, but if I have to forfeit apps too, then it's not worth it, and maybe I'll consider the Nexus instead. But I like Blackberry and would like to go with the Storm 2 if it'll work. So I'm asking for T-Mobile subscribers to share their experiences with the Storm 2, how well it works, and whether they think it was worth it. Thanks in advance.

Ubizmo
Offline   Reply With Quote