View Single Post
Old 04-16-2010, 12:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
dr 997

Model: Tour
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Post Thanks: 0
Default Gmail ruined my contacts list-a complex problem

Please Login to Remove!

I'll try to make this short. So I just signed up for gmail and added it to my BB Tour email application. I checked the "sync contacts" option on the setup (actually, it was prechecked, and I didn't uncheck it). After the first sync, I noticed that all my contacts disappeared on the BB, but they existed on the gmail account. Someone else on this forum said to make some random insignificant change on Gmail and it will resync back.

That worked, but the "restored" contact data on the BB was all screwed up: first name in the last name field, all address fields squeezed into the first line, the pictures all disappeared, duplicate entries, etc. Fortunately, I had the original data on Outlook on my laptop, so I synced my BB with Outlook, with the "computer to BB one way" configuration, thinking all the messed up contact data would be restored by the correct Outlook data.

Well, Desktop Manager didn't seem to notice that the BB contact data was screwed up and ignored it during the sync (i.e. nothing synced). So I tried changing one contact on Outlook (something insignificant, like changing Street to St.) to see if the change was recognized. I synced again, and this time, the correct data replaced the screwed up data, (even the stuff that I didn't change... weird) but the city, state, and zip fields on the BB remained blank. I synced again, but now once again, Desktop Manager seemed to think that it was just fine and didn't recognize any differences between Outlook and the BB.

So... I know that was confusing, but summary, I have an Outlook Contacts list that is correct, and a BB Contacts list that is screwed up, but Desktop Manager can't detect the differences between the two, unless I make some small random change, then all of a sudden, it sees ALL the differences. The problem with manually making changes on all my contacts is that 1) I have over 1200 contacts, and 2) the City/State/Zip disappear when I try this technique. I tried to do the standard sync (two way), but then the Desktop Manager now does notice the differences and wants to change the correct Outlook data with the screwed up BB data!!

So now, I can't sync my BB to Outlook at all, even if I add new contacts on the BB, or else all the old correct entries will get changed to the screwed up version as a result. Again, if I try to sync the Outlook data back to the BB, then the differences are ignored. But a BB to Outlook sync does recognize the differences!! I'm assuming that Desktop Manager thinks that the BB changes were the latest and wants to apply the last changes to Outlook, but not the other way around.

Does anyone know how I can deal with this? I think my only choice is to go ahead with the two way sync and then manually correct all 1200 entries back on Outlook! I've tried all sorts of configuration changes, conflict resolution settings, etc, and nothing works. I just need to be able to do a one way sync from Outlook to BB without making manual changes to all 1200 entries.

I'm not sure who I hate more: BB or Google.

I would appreciate any reply to this, even if it's just words of sympathy.

Thanks.
Offline   Reply With Quote