View Single Post
Old 04-18-2010, 08:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
philparis

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: bouygtel
Post Thanks: 0
Default Stuck with my 8830

Please Login to Remove!

Hi to all
forgive me if i ask for already answered questions, i am new on this forum (as new as my BB !)

I bought my 8830 Verizon World edition unlocked from a "professional" chinese Ebay seller.

Here are the system and software data of this smartphone:
System version: 4.2.2.196 (Platform: 3.0.0.84)
Kernel Version: 3.8.4.47

I have several problems.

1/ i am using a Mac computer with a 10.4.11 OS which forbids me to use the actual Destop Manager which is suitable only for OS 10.5 and later (Intel machines)
Maybe some of you know where i can find an older version (for PPC Macs) of this Desktop Manager ?
Or am i obliged to use a PC to perform any task with this phone ?

2/I dont have any BB plan of any kind with my carrier (Bouygtel in France) and when i tried to set up a POP account i only had the choice between an Enterprise server and the skipping of the email setup. If i change the software on the phone (i currently have been able to download the 8830uAMEA_PBr4.5.0_rel138_PL3.4.0.7_A4.5.0.101 Version of the system)
will i have the choice of the POP account setting up ? (if i succeed in installing it !)

I must say that i use an Android phone for the moment (Huawei) and that the email setup was a breeze. BUT it is not a very good phone for calling that's why i wanted to have a wellknown standard of the industry as a BB

3/ when i insert my SIMcard, i am not able to download the contacts from it into the address book. It says "SIMcard access error"
The strange thing is that when i insert my former carrier SIMcard (Orange) it is working (but when i change back the card to the previous one, all contacts disappear because i have to remove the battery)
Is there a workaround for this ?

4/ the Opera browser is in Chinese, can i find a french or English version for free somewhere ? or does the BB have an embedded browser itself?

5/ where can i change my phone number identity (for the moment i see an american number showing up saying that it is my number when i try to place a call) ?

Thanks a lot to those who will try to help a newbie like me !

Philippe in Paris, France
Offline   Reply With Quote