View Single Post
Old 07-01-2010, 06:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
jrice8002003
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Post Thanks: 0
Default Verizon 160 SMS character limit even more difficult to work around on OS 5.0

Please Login to Remove!

I'm relatively new to OS 5.0, so perhaps this isn't a new complaint out there. I love the messaging on 5.0...it's exactly what it should have been a long time ago. The threaded messaging gives regular SMS more of a BBM flavor. However, I'm finding it pretty difficult to send messages over 160 characters.

On my old Curve, I had a decent work-around. If I was approaching the character limit in an SMS, I would "Save as Draft", open up a new SMS and add the same recipients, finish my thought, "Save as Draft" again, and then send them in order. The reason I liked this method is that I could organize my message just how I like it, and the people I'm sending it to receive it all together, rather than minutes apart as I finish my thoughts on a follow-up SMS. A pretty annoying process, but I got pretty good at it and it worked pretty well for me.

Now I have the Bold 9650 on 5.0. Like I said, it's great, but I'm not able to "Save as Draft" anymore...looks like they've done away with that feature. So lately what I've been doing is opening up the memo pad and typing my message in full, then copy/pasting it into the SMS area and sending it in pieces. This is a daunting process.

I've tried CrunchSMS, and it was nice to have on my Curve for a while, but I got sick of the ad banner they put on a recent update in an attempt to get you to upgrade to the paid version. And at the end of the day, I really don't want to use a third party app for SMS.

What are some methods you guys have found useful when trying to send 160+ messages? MMS is not the solution for me. Thoughts?
Offline   Reply With Quote