View Single Post
Old 07-03-2010, 10:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
ahstanford

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Post Thanks: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by x14 View Post
I think this all depends of the level of paranoia.
For the sake of this conversation, let's assume the highest imaginable level of paranoia that we can wrap our heads around. In other words, I'm open to all security advancements and ideas.

Quote:
If we're talking about device security, enable password and setting a reasonable timeout of 5 or 10 minutes should be good enough for anyone. You can also enable Content Protection and encrypt the media card.
What exactly is "Content Protection?"

Quote:
You can also get third party applications that can secure your applications and prompt you to enter a password when launching it.
Actually, that's a great tip. Are these applications free? Can you refer me to any specific examples by chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
Step 1 - don't come on to a public forum with a serious attitude problem
Excuse me if I'm not very forgiving of pointless posting. I don't believe I need advice on forum etiquette, though.

I'd be glad to refer you to my numerous other forum accounts with years of activity, great reputation and even past/current moderator/administrator status.
Quote:
Step 2 - see step 1
If anything, I think you need an attitude adjustment. The sarcasm, condescending attitude and general smartass etiquette is quite displeasing to a new member.

Quote:
If you are on BES, there are certain things that the admins can see/log that you have no control over. Presumably you would never consider using WiFi.
Oh... now I know why you're standing up for a pointless poster. I think it was pretty clear from my OP that I don't use BES. You must have also neglected to take the time to read the topic in which you are replying to.

Quote:
Problem is, it's expensive and not even remotely targeted for the average consumer. (More towards entire IT departments which use BES)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
Agree with devnull and NJ.
Interesting.

Quote:
As said by x14 above, it would depend upon your personal level of paranoia, what you are doing that requires such stealth and why you feel that you need to be so secure. Cell phones, by their nature, are in the open and can be subject to interception and monitoring by whomever.
I understand your point and it's a valid one, but I'm trying to compile a list of ideas and techniques relating to securing a BlackBerry - not explanations as to who would or would not need said security.

Quote:
If you are in the business of being secretive, then a cell device probably isn't for you, or at least an ordinary, run of the mill variety.
I'm not in any business of secrecy by any means, but simply a technology and BlackBerry enthusiast. That said, my business and/or secrecy needs do not relate to the topic at hand in any way. I'm trying to discuss approaches to the advancement of BlackBerry security.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
Seems to me that what options you would consider depend on exactly what degree and type of prying/spying you need to protect against. Sort of like your house or apartment or business ... Are basic door locks and window locks sufficient? Do you need a security system? Guard? Do you need a safe? Do you need a safety deposit box? It depends on what you have worth stealing, it's value, and how likely it is potential thieves know about it, and where it it is likely to be and when.

My opinion, the stock blackberry and some basic prudent behavior is all most any ordinary user needs. If you really need more, then you need professional advice.
Again, just looking for any contributions one can make regarding the DIY improvement of BlackBerry security. I have no reason to spend the money perusing professional advice on this as I don't require that level of secrecy. If I did, then I wouldn't be here in the first place. That said, I value my privacy and would like to make my own efforts to maintain it.

I'm hoping to see this get on topic.

Last edited by ahstanford : 07-03-2010 at 10:44 AM.
Offline   Reply With Quote