Thanks for responding.
1. There is an issue with the Messaging Application Programming Interface (MAPI) subsystem, MAPI profile, or .pst file.
2. Synchronization with Microsoft Office Outlook Connector and Outlook Mobile Service is not supported.
3. The BlackBerry Desktop Manager is installed on an unsupported operating system such as Windows Server® 2003.
4. The BlackBerry Desktop Manager is trying to connect to an unsupported version of Microsoft Outlook such as Microsoft Outlook 2010 beta.
I had found this and also done the MAPI fix without success. So I have narrowed matters down to
1. Not the issue.
3. Not the issue.
4. Not the issue on MS Outlook 2007.
Leaves No 2. What does RIM want the user to actually do here? What they write is a statement.
"Microsoft Outlook 2003 and 2007 include an add-in feature called Microsoft Office Outlook Connector. This feature allows you to configure MSN® Passport to connect to web-based email accounts, such as Windows Live™ Hotmail®. Microsoft Outlook 2007 includes an add-in feature called Outlook Mobile Service that allows you to configure an email address to send Short Message Service (SMS) messages and Multimedia Messaging Services (MMS) messages to a mobile device."
I have the Outlook Connector. Why would I switch on the SMS alert when I want to sync Contacts and Calendar?