View Single Post
Old 07-22-2010, 06:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
elbutre
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: vodafone
Post Thanks: 2
Default BEs 5.0.2 inplace upgrade of sql express to sql server 2005

Please Login to Remove!

hi

i have been testing bes 5.0.1 (recently upgrade to 5.0.2) and am now happy with the way it works (single exchange 2007 server)

i am in the process of setting up a new DR solution in a new Datacentre and wanted to install a bes 5.0.2 HA server in the new DR datacentre.

i did a bit of reading up on the BES 5.0 HA failover and understand i need a sql server database rather than the sql express 2005 database i currently have on the bes 5.0 server (sql express was installed as part of the installation)

i can just scrap the existing bes 5.0.1 server and rebuid from scratch and install the SQL server 2004/8 on the box and then do the installation and setup mirroring to a sql express 2005/8 server on the bes 5.0 HA server.

but...

is it possible to do an inplace upgrade of sql 2005 express to sql 2005 standard while keeping the bes databases intact and working. i currently only have 1 user on the bes server (me) so a bit of downtime is not an issue.

it might just be easier to start from scratch as it is on a virtualised server and can rebuild in less than 1 or 2 hours but if in place is possible that might be easier?

is there anything else i should be taking into account, i am also planning on installing exchange 2010 once some 3rd party plugins become compatible and will be installing an exchange 2010 server in the DR datacenter so if there is anything i can do now with the bes 5.0 HA setup that will make it easier to incorporate with exchange 2010 please let me know

many thanks
Offline   Reply With Quote