View Single Post
Old 11-13-2010, 02:15 PM   #36 (permalink)
The Sand
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9810
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Post Thanks: 4
Default Re: Will Windows Phone 7 end BlackBerry's enterprise dominance?

My thoughts after using WP7xxx8230; They are trying to compete with iPhone xxx8211; this is no threat to the BB. You can sync Outlook with exchange only xxx8211; otherwise you have to set up an account through Zune so you can sync your media files. Similar to iTunes for iPhone. Itxxx8217;s pushing you to use Windows Live xxx8211; it will sync contacts and calendar if you use Windows Live. And you can get the Outlook Connector to sync your Outlook to Windows Live and then onto the phone. But I donxxx8217;t want toxxx8230; so for me no Outlook is a deal breaker. I believe they will change this as there is already negative feedback over xxx8220;no Outlook.xxx8221;

There is a lot you canxxx8217;t customize like you can with the BB. Which is similar to iPhone xxx8211; you get what you get. A lot of people who own BBxxx8217;s for work are over 40. I handed the LG Quantum to my mother to see if she could read the email/SMS (she is a HUGE BB fan) she was struggling. You canxxx8217;t read it as mass storage.. I like to set up a sync program and sync things to and from the device xxx8211; which is what I do with my BB xxx8211; you have to go through Zune to do that nowxxx8230;

I really like the OS and think it has great potential, but itxxx8217;s not going to replace the BB. The only thing BB has to worry about is their BES. Coming (real soon) for WP7, Droid (and right now) for Symbian is Emoze, SEVEN, Profimail, Nokia Messaging all who offer push email with SSL in addition to AES encryption to and from the server. Some donxxx8217;t even xxx8220;storexxx8221; the password xxx8211; they only push when the device is ready. And SEVEN will offer a remote wipe. All of this competes with BBxxx8217;s BES which is a 9.95 monthly charge. The above companies are either free or a one time fee. If you can get your email secured and save 9.95 monthly then you might consider switching. But as of nowxxx8230; even with these companies offering this xxx8211; I see no phone operating system as good as the BB that would make me switch..

p.s. one really cool thing about GSM carriers is I can light up whatever device I want for the day - no activation needed. So I can roll WP7 or the BB for the day depending on my mood.

Last edited by The Sand : 11-13-2010 at 03:53 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote