View Single Post
Old 01-27-2011, 08:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
fsager
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
PIN: 27FC9D56
Carrier: T-Mobile
Post Thanks: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Those posts were from people who had no clue -- I read them as well. They talked about OS4.5 on older devices. Their theory was that the carriers and RIM were in cahoots to keep clients on the original networks. That was a load of made-up crap. Your OS isn't frying your SIM. Your SIM may not be fried either. Try it on another phone, or reload the OS if you don't have one. You have nothing to lose. Is this by chance an unlocked phone? What carrier are you on? Anyway, I am sure it was not the OS that did your SIM in. It could also be an old SIM card that just died?
It's a T-mobile branded 9780 with a T-mobile SIM, and the phone is still locked to tmobile. I tried the SIM in my old 8900 and 8320 with the same message and a myTouch slide 3G which had no error, but wouldn't connect to a network. Yes, I have a propper data plan. I did not believe TMO or RIM would remotely fry the SIM but I do believe it possible that faulty code in the OS could damage the SIM. The SIM that fried was just over 2 years old and was the one that came with my 8320. I got the SIM that came with the 9780 and had CS activate that SIM. So far no issues. Unfortunately, there is no way of knowing if my SIM would still be working if I didn't load this OS. I will monitor the event log and go back through it to see if there was any indication of the OS playing a part.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Offline   Reply With Quote