| | Re: Bold 9650 OS 6 thoughts?
I just received a new 9650 running 18.104.22.1681. I moved everything over from a 9650 that had been running OS5 and started using it today.
Having been a seasoned BB used continuously since my first 7250, generally I am very open and excited about trying a new OS and discovering all the new things, but I am having some really trouble with OS 6, man this thing is really rough. Not sure how it made it to official release.
Some of my issues:
1) Battery life: I am running it side by side with the 9650 and the battery life is 1/3 to 1/2 worse. I realize it is hard to use both devices the same, but even just sitting there the OS6 will go down 20% when the OS5 will go down 10%.
2) Lagging: Even when nothing but the core apps are running, the hourglass will spin intermittently when in messages or BBM. Moving through the screens it seem like something is consuming the processor and causing lags. It is the same right after a reboot. Maybe this is what is causing the battery drain.
3) Sounds: Where did all the core sounds go? Maybe it is just the default theme, but they got rid of the standard phone ringer (replaced it with a "remixed" version) and also the alarm. I see a ton of funky named sounds (evolving revelation, assured, vital etc) I don't mind them adding new sounds, but couldn't they keep the standard sounds?
If you browse to "all alerts" you see more sounds (but not the standards) but you can't easily listen to them by leaving them selected for a second. You have to hit the menu and play them. This is a real pain.
4) The camera app has some nice features. When you are taking a pic you have icons at the bottom to allow you to turn the flash on or off, change scene modes. This is VERY helpful, but unfortunately this same innovation didn't make it to the other camera screens. After you have taken a pic and have it on the screen, the bottom has 2 options, take another pic or delete it...nothing else! They could have easily fit 4 more icons there. To send that pic, you have to hit the menu button and scroll to "send" Even the old version had "send to" on the right bottom without hitting the menu.
5) Mnemonics: They really messed with the ability to pick settings using mnemonics. Yes "O" still gets you into options (once you have found where to turn off home screen dialing) but from there mnemonics don't work at all. The entire options section is a real mess. Do we really need a description under "Date and Time" that says "change time zones?" The descriptions are a horrible waste of screen real estate.
I get that they have categorized it, but it sure feels messy and unorganized somehow.
6) Pictures: Where did the option go to move a picture to another folder? It doesn't exist, well at least after spending 45 minutes looking for it today I have come to the conclusion it doesn't exist. How are we supposed to move photos around?
So now I have to decide to either wait to see if some of these get fixed (which typically has been a futile effort) or downgrade. The poor battery life is going to be a real boat anchor. I already carry a spare battery and unless this improves I doubt I could get 1/2 a day on a busy day. Business users will hate this.
I'll give it a few more days, but this OS isn't going to earn any awards for usability. I see glimpses of innovation, and then other areas where it is just useless minutia.
To be honest, I expect more of RIM. They take so long to bring real innovation to the market that the expectation is very high. This OS really misses the mark and it isn't going to do anything to help curb the exodus to Apple and Android...IMHO.