View Single Post
Old 03-21-2011, 06:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
pshute
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: Optus
Post Thanks: 1
Default Misinformation about a touch shortcut?

Please Login to Remove!

I've been trying to work out how to use this phone efficiently without the keyboard slid out. I wanted to be able to type and proofread emails using just the touch screen, so I needed to be able to hide and restore the touch keyboard.

I Googled how to do it, and every page I read said that I have to touch the top of the virtual keyboard and swipe down to the bottom to remove it, and do the reverse to restore it. I downloaded the manual, and it agrees with them.

I finally worked out how to swipe it away without accidentally typing letters. It seems to need to be done fairly quickly for it to work.

But I just couldn't make it come back again, now matter how I swiped. Then a colleague pointed out that when the keyboard is gone, there's a touch icon in the bottom left of the screen to restore it. Duh!

I'd like to know is why all those web pages and the instructions are wrong. Did RIM decide to get rid of the swipe-to-restore, and replace it with that icon in an OS upgrade? Or was that icon always there, and I just still haven't learned the trick to restoring with a swipe?
Offline   Reply With Quote