View Single Post
Old 05-23-2011, 01:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
lloydsfm
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Telus
Post Thanks: 0
Default BB without data plan unable to connect to WiFi

Please Login to Remove!

Hello,

I have recently traded SIM cards in my BB 9000 Bold to my wife's old voice plan (no data). We expected that we could still use WiFi to still browse and for other network functionality. When trying to connect to our home WiFi we are inable to obtain an IP address with our router.

When setting up the WiFi connection, we are able to find the correct SSID, we enter the correct pre-shared key, and the Bold reports "Connection is Successful" and the name of our connection appears at the top but the WiFi indicator remains grey. When doing a WiFi diagonstic we find the IP address is no longer valid. The status did momentarily read "Device failed to associate with AP."

Reviewing the logs we find the request from the BB Bold is received by the router and it assigns an IP address (we see the association request from the WLAN MAC address of the Bold), but the Bold does not appear to accept the IP address. We tried forcing an IP address on the BB, but the WiFi diagnostics still reads the IP address is no longer valid.

How can we get this BB to connect to our router and the WiFi? We also have another BB 9800 Torch with a data plan that connects to this same WiFi network without any difficulty.