Originally Posted by ZombieBerry
More than a few had to use the DM method to be able to upgrade the OS. Not sure why, doesn't seem to have a specific cause...
My first try this morning didn't go so well, so I waited to get to work, and it worked like a charm there.
Got a new PlayBook over the weekend. During the initial setup, after connecting to WiFi and creating a Blackberry ID, it checks for updates and I get this message "There was an error connecting to the update server. Please try again later. (1011)."
I fixed it by:
1. Connecting the PlayBook to the PC and opening Desktop Manager.
2. If not updating from the initial setup, then select to BACKUP your PlayBook! This process is a CLEAN WIPE so you'll lose all data.
3. Within Desktop Manager, I clicked Device and Update.
4. No Update will be found. Click ok and go back to the homescreen.
5. While still plugged in, I restarted the PlayBook using the power button.
6. A new window appeared giving the option to click Update.
7. The PlayBook finally updated after a while, and am now on the latest software.
Hope this helps others.