View Single Post
Old 06-18-2011, 11:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
OliverSparrow

Model: 9780
PIN: N/A
Carrier: vodafone
Post Thanks: 1
Default Desktop manager chaos

Please Login to Remove!

My telephone service provided / pushed a handset upgrade on me. The new (Bold 9780) came with a CD, which I installed. After installation, the program (6.0) died as soon as it tried to start. I Googled around, and found that it is a .Net problem. An entire morning was spent upgrading to .Net 4.0 via all of the interim steps and interative security downloads, restarts and so forth. Version 6 still did not work. Very well, erase and replace with 6.01. Same problem.

Right, replace with 5.0 from the original telephone. That is no longer able to see the telephone, although the PC does. (The desktop app is flagged as "disconnected".)

So, perhaps the USB driver is bad. Replace the USB driver with C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\USB Drivers\RimUsbNT.inf
No change. Try every USB slot on the machine: no dice.

One should emphasise that each reinstallation of this ridiculously huge software take 20 minutes on very fast machine. I have wasted 24 hours on something that should not be a problem. Plainly, without backup and restore I cannot transfer between telephones, so I am stuck. The rest of the RIM desktop system - synchronisation, etc - is not used. I simply want to clone my existing apps, appearance and so forth onto the new machine. This should take two minutes. It has not done so.

A basic question, therefore: I have taken a copy of the file structure in my current BlackBerry, a Curve 8350. Can I simply paste this into the new machine, or is that far too simple for the refined minds of RIM? If not, what am I to do?
Offline   Reply With Quote