View Single Post
Old 07-03-2011, 01:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
nobody7290
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
Carrier: t-mobile Germany
Post Thanks: 11
Thumbs down MDS browser useless unless you force "Disable other browser services" ?

Please Login to Remove!

Frustrated by the unflexibility of the OS6 Mobile Safari where you cant select a browser identity, I tried to overcome this by using the MDS browser and send the traffic through the Proxy in the network where the BES resides, which can rewrite the Browser ID string to something which does not identify itself as a mobile device.
Then, I thought I can again use the Web my way, and not the strange way some sites are enforcing (including the blackberryforums.com).

I created a policy based on the default policy, set the MDS browser to show as a different Icon, set MDS Browser domains to ".".
Added a Proxy Mapping in the MDS-CS which sends everthing which is not in the BES local network through the proxy, and setup the proxy to replace the browsers ID string.

But, the MDS Browser still sends everything out through the Blackberry BIS servers, regardless if I use the Internet Browser or the MDS browser as a starting point.
I read the KB Articles RIM wrote about the new way OS6 decides what the best data path is, but I did not think that when you use the MDS browser traffic will be sent preferred through BIS.

The only way to make use of the MDS browser features, is to set the "Disable other browser services" which disables all other browsers completely. Which is not what I need, because, sometimes, the IBS browser does make sense.

Or, I set the "Wifi internet Access path to" use MDS. Then, if I am somewhere where I have Wifi, and, disable the Mobile network, the Traffic also goes through the MDS. But this setting does disable the use of the WiFi browser service which would be nice to have for streaming music or Video in a local network, or, the internet.

I do not understand, why there is such a thing in OS6 like an extra Icon for the MDS browser, when I can only use it if I disable all other Browsers. If it will not work anyway as long as the Internet browser is allowed, one Icon will be enough.

Is there anything I forgot or what I can make better to achieve this Goal, or I am doomed to go back to OS5, which might have a less modern Internet-appearance, but has all those features ready built in into the OS ?
Offline   Reply With Quote