View Single Post
Old 07-06-2011, 04:07 PM   #39 (permalink)
DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T
Post Thanks: 30
Default Re: Open Letter to RIM From One of Their Execs & RIM's Response to It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
Some of the complaints were just stupid, as in expecting laptop peformance and browsing experience, or full featured media players. My fond memory is the time zone issue... "You mean I have to change the time zone manually? Even my stoopid Nokia knows what time zone I'm in for cripes sake."
So that was a "stupid" complaint, huh? Interestingly, now my 9800 Torch with OS6 also knows automatically what time zone I'm in, just like that ancient and "stoopid" Nokia did!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
But many of the complaints were along the lines of interacting freely, without limitations, with other devices, such as via bluetooth. The crack, "I could do that with my..." was made a dozen times a day, easily. The fact that the BlackBerry was locked down and for good reason was just beyond these new members.
With all due respect, sounds like some things here are beyond YOU too. The BlackBerry can be locked down tightly, and that's certainly one of its key strengths, you're right that far.

But the BlackBerry doesn't have to be locked down tightly, never has. That's done (very elegantly) via policies pushed down to the device from a BES server. No BES server, no policy, no lockdown. And to claim that the security-lockdown available via BES policy is somehow an excuse for lack of interoperability/interactivity, such as via bluetooth - is absurd beyond comprehension.

It IS possible to have a tightly locked down device when needed, and still have an open device when locked down is not needed. RIM showed how to do that a long time ago.
Offline   Reply With Quote