View Single Post
Old 07-13-2011, 01:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
bnewman

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers Wireless
Post Thanks: 0
Default BES "Email-Only" User Configuration Issues

Please Login to Remove!

We have received a strong push from end-users in our office that they dislike carrying two BlackBerrys; one being their own personal device, and one being their corporate-assigned BES device. Because of this, I have started to look into adding personal phones to the corporate BESX and controlling them using some of RIM's new Balance policies.

After speaking to the end-users, one of their requirements is that they still wish to be able to sync their PIM Data (Calendar, Contacts, Memopad and Tasks) on their home PC via Desktop Manager - the only data they really want to have access to through the BESX is their corporate push-email. Because of this requirement, I have created an "Email-Only IT Policy" on our BES that states:
  • PIM Synchronization - Disable All Wireless Synchronization (so that users will not receive their Exchange calendar, contacts, etc and can still sync their device at home)
  • Personal Devices - Disable forwarding of work content using personal channels, require work resources for conducting work activities
  • Device Only - password policies and restrictions.

As of right now, I am only piloting this between my personal BlackBerry (BB 9800) and one additional device (BB 8520). But, what I've noticed is that when I click on my PIN in the BlackBerry Administration Service console, there is no data under "Device Information" except for my PIN (no model information, no software information, etc) - and as well, I have no control over deleting device data.

Is there something I am missing with the IT Policy, or something I have to physically enable through BES? All other BES users are running fine, but with the "Email-Only IT Policy" users, I am unable to control the device at all it seems.

We are running BESX v5.0.3.41 and have an Exchange 2010 SP1 server onsite.
Offline   Reply With Quote