View Single Post
Old 08-29-2011, 07:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA
Post Thanks: 20
Default Re: potential buyer, noob questions pls...

I can only give you my experience. As I said I have a 1GB plan. The account manager and I went over the bill a while ago to see if it was worth while to upgrade to a 6GB plan (unlimited data plans are only a fond memory here now). I tend to use between 100MB and 150MB per month.

The non-data plans are what some people need. For example if your daughter only wanted to use BBM, Facebook and MSN (Microsoft Live) but not Email or web browsing then an unlimited social media package might be the best deal for her. There may be a plan that would include unlimited YouTube, or may not. But viewing a lot of videos would chew through 100MB pretty quickly. On the other hand with some self dicipline one can limit video and web browsing to when Wi-Fi access is available and the data is free or much lower cost.

You really need to look at how they are going to use it, and talk to the carrier you plan on using. Usually the carrier will let you upgrade to a higher priced plan without too much difficulty, but they may resist letting you go back. So it may be easier to add bulk data or just email after they decide they want that, rather than trying to remove something that isn't being used.

In general choice favours the consumer, but requires the consumer to do his/her research.

Last edited by hrbuckley : 08-29-2011 at 07:13 AM.
Offline   Reply With Quote