View Single Post
Old 10-31-2011, 09:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
Model: Priv
PIN: 2AB9C463
Carrier: WIND
Post Thanks: 30
Default Re: Iphone SIRI for the Blackberry?

Originally Posted by DallasFlier View Post
There's no doubt that Siri is more sophisticated, but after trying out the free version of Vlingo (and eagerly waiting the free upgrade to be posted from RIM), I honestly think that in terms of day-to-day usage and ability to enhance my efficiency, that Vlingo is almost as good as Siri.

The Siri add shows someone saying "I'm locked out" and Siri returns a list of nearby locksmiths. If you say "I'm locked out" to Vlingo, you get back more things - not only locksmiths but eHow articles on locks, etc etc. BUT, if you say "locksmiths" to Vlingo, then you get back a distance-ordered list of locksmiths, which is exactly what you want. So, ask yourself, would you be more likely with your phone (or your computer) to say or type "I'm locked out" or are you used to a search for "locksmiths" and would actually be just as likely, or more, to say that?

If, like me, you think being able to say "locksmiths" to your phone and have it return a distance-ordered list - and being able to say "call Bob cell" or "call Bob mobile" (it understands either word) and have it instantly place the call - is very good functionality, then definitely check out Vlingo!

(Disclaimer - I have no ownership/interest/financial stake in Vlingo)
Difference is that vlingo has been around as long as the Earth(I keed!!), Siri? Not so much. Give it time, Siri will make vlingo look like a a rider on the short bus.

Don't get me wrong though. I use vlingo and, they both do what they say they do. I always thought Nuance (Dragon Naturally Speaking/ Dragon Dictate etc...) would partner with RIM long before anyone else. It seems like Apple tried vlingo as well, and went with Nuance.
fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt

Last edited by ZombieBerry : 10-31-2011 at 09:06 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote