View Single Post
Old 12-09-2011, 03:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
jimfraser
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Q10
Carrier: Rogers
Post Thanks: 12
Default Re: Latest OS: 9800 7.0.0.3049/7.0.0.706 (Asian + English)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfraser View Post
Downloaded yesterday. Skipped the last update or two (not like me) and am still on .600 which I believe is the most recent OS for both Rogers and Bell.
Got myself a $199 Playbook last week which has been distracting me. Must say great integreation with my 9800 mail, calendar etc. and great web browsing when you have wifi. Still stuff to learn on the PB, so may not do the upgrade to .706 immediately.
Finally getting around to installing. (Still distracted by PlayBook however. No regrets whatsoever with Playbook. Cannot understand all the poor press it has been getting)
This is my first install with Windows 7. Somewhat confused by the special instructions above for Vista/Windows 7.
First of all as I suspected there was no Research in Motion directory in Program Files/Common Files in Windows 7. I simply went into Program Files (x86)/Common Files/Research in Motion/Apploader and deleted the vendor.xml file. Did not understand what "simply click on "Compatibility" files" means either.
In other words I found the proceedure identical as for Windows XP except go to Program Files (x86) where all the files which are not Windows 7 specific are located.
Has anyone who has installed with Windows 7 actually followed the above instructions successfully, as opposed to simply going to the Program Files (x86) directory instead of Program Files which has very few files and they are designed for Windows 7 only?
I any event while writing this the new OS has been installed, and now the lengthy process to get reactivated to the BES over the air. Wait, it is fully activated!! Never happened this fast before!! Don't know if it is windows 7 or this OS.
My third party theme did not install however, and the icons are all over the place. However I am connected to the BES server, which is the main thing, and in record time.
Apps backed up with BBSAK, so missing apps (many of which are not supposed to work with OS6) and rearranging icons back is not an issue.
I will do a hard reset and see what happens.
Offline   Reply With Quote