View Single Post
Old 01-19-2012, 03:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
nobody7290
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
Carrier: t-mobile Germany
Post Thanks: 11
Default Re: Boxee/XBMC/Media Center

Rather then getting a storage which you can connect to the Playbook the problem is more something related to the codecs and containters the playbook will play.
Rumor is, this will be improved with OS2.0.
Other problems are the way the playbook can access the storage:
There is no network client built in to the OS. The only way a factory default PB is able to play movies is to place them inside a webservers directory, but most simple comsumer NAS servers will have this option to serve the files via HTTP. Depending on the type of the movie the PB will playback the movie while loading or download it and play.
Even, if copying a movie from some accessible storage to the playbook would be possible, it takes ages. Makes 0 sense to me. Either streaming or better nothing.

What works nice however is a UPNP media server which is able reencode the content to something the playbook accepts and which delivers the content using flash.
I tried that with tversity and, it is ok for watching movies on the PB display. But 1080p output would require a 1080p picture, and tversity refuses to deliver this (even if the source is HD 1080p the movie is scaled down). Also FF and REV ist not working.
So your mileage is limited.

If someone finds a media server which is better for the PB I would like to hear it.

Last edited by nobody7290 : 01-19-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote