Thread: Cdma 8700?
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2006, 01:19 PM   #25 (permalink)
kregars

Model: 8703e
Carrier: vz
Post Thanks: 0

I talked to an Executive for VZW for the DC Metro area today and inquired about the 8700. My reasoning is simple..I am hearing impaired (10% in one ear and less than 40% in the other) and my company will not allow us to make use of the 7130. He noted that they are infact in the final phase of testing before rollout, and they expect it to be avail mid Q2...not as a replacement for the 7250 or 7130, but as another option.

Pricing has not yet been set, but they expect it to be ~499 to fall in line with the other devices they have currently on the shelf.

As for the phone itself, he had no specifics on what would be included other than it does/will have the speakerphone capability. The model he had seen did NOT have polymorphic/MP3 ring tones, but that could still be implimented since the model he had seen was still in it's infantcy(sp). He also noted it was very similar in size to the 7250 but didnt look exactly like the offerings from other carriers that already have the 8700 (GSM/EDGE). He was certain that VZW would have a different naming scheme (not just call it the 8700, but maybe the 8750...he specifically stated 8770 but that could have been it's name for testing).

I'm looking forward to this as much as anyone...if not for the added functionality, then for the ability to hear it ring in the middle of the night. Having to have a second phone that rings loud that I have my work phone forwarded to a personal one is working, but expensive as a solution.

Last edited by kregars : 02-18-2006 at 01:23 PM.