View Single Post
Old 05-23-2012, 10:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA
Post Thanks: 20
Default Re: What is the diff between a e-reader & a PlayBook?

No native BBM for PlayBook yet, you have to Bridge to a BlackBerry smart phone for that. I'm speculating that we won't see BBM on the PlayBook until BB 10 is released.

That said the difference between a PlayBook and the tablet based E-book readers is one of speed and flexibility. An E-book reader with a battery life of a few hours of reading isn't very satisfying. So they tend to be built around lower powered (slower CPUs, fewer cores) devices.

A tablet that is sold as a tablet and not an E-book reader will be built for faster browsing, more demanding applications (like games, or office applications). That is a trade off where battery life is sacrificed for performance. Some tablets are very good at managing this compromise. The first iPad was famous for this. Most (if not all) tablets on the market will have E-book reader software. The PlayBook ships with the Kobo reader (though it isn't very good) but there are other options. Some people are happy reading Amazon books using the web browser for example.

This is really a personal choice and you need to test drive the hardware before you make a choice. Personally I have an e-ink reader (Sony PRS-600) that I read books on, and a PlayBook that I do tablet stuff on. I can read my books from Kobo on either, but I prefer the Sony.
cowgirl05 (05-23-2012)