View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 06:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
whyaretwo

Model: 9300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Post Thanks: 0
Default Browsing question

Please Login to Remove!

A little background. In April I purchased a Samsung Galaxy S2 upon renewing my AT&T contract for another 2 years. Last week said S2 broke, despite being in a case and being handled more gingerly than I typically treat my phones. So, as it would not be warranted and suspecting that I'd just be buying again in another 5 months if I purchase my own, used, variant of an all touchscreen smartphone, I bought a used BB Curve 9300.

Initially i was shocked to find that all of my browsing was occuring over the cell network despite having, and being connected to, a wifi network. I have an AT&T smartphone data plan, but not a Blackberry specific one. Fortunately I hadn't incurred any charges before realizing this. Upon searching a variety of sources, including here at blackberryforums.com, I found out about the "hotspot" browser option in the settings and, I hope, my browsing is now going through wifi. It's my understanding that without the BB specific plan you can only browse a connected, but greyed, wifi network in this so-called "hotspot" mode.

I am otherwise pleased with the phone and am keeping an eye on my data, just in case. I did encounter a new problem though. I'd gone, as I sometimes must, to a location with no cell coverage but with wifi.This is in a location within the same building and network. The browser refused to browse despite being in "hotspot" mode. Is there some fix for this? I'd say including activating the BB specific service but if I'm in a location with no cell service it seems unlikely that the phone will know that the BB service is in effect.

Is it simply not possible to surf on a BB without a visible cell network?

Thanks in advance,
Keith
Offline   Reply With Quote