View Single Post
Old 02-24-2006, 11:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
chrisnol
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: ATT
Post Thanks: 0

The post below was on the Cingular support forum today. I don't know if it works or if it is much different than the processes posted on this great forum

"Well after much time. I'm happy to report success. I now have my 8700C connected to my PC as a modem and it functions. As for my experience I was able to find out that some interesting informaiton which I will try to outline below.

If you have a Cingular unlimited data plan then you are able to call 800-331-0500 and ask to be transfered to Cingulars Data Product Team located in Washinton State. They walked me through everything and eventually got me up and running.

For the most part the documentation provided at this url http://supportcingular.atgnow.com/cn...e/KB53592.html provides accurate directions for configuring your 8700C. I did deviate from the process some.

Step 1:
Verify that BlackBerry DeskTop manager and BB Device Manager are installed on your PC, and able to see your BB8700C. After installing BB DeskTop you will have to run each application and verify communications with yur 8700C. This installation of BB manager installs the modem port and modem device within Device manager for you.

BlackBerry DeskTop Manager 4.1 - 33.8MB file https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...b5184b5d4f39TR

Step2: Right click "my computer"--> Properties --> Hardware Tab--> Go to Device Manager --> Modems--> std modem-->right click--> properties. Then --> Diagnostics Tab --> Query Modem. If you get a reply from the modem move on. If no reply see note below.
NOTE: BB Device Manager must be running for windows to see the modem.

Step 3: Right click "my computer"--> Properties --> Hardware Tab--> Go to Device Manager --> Modems--> std modem-->right click--> properties. Then --> Advanced Tab --> intialization commands --> type at+cgdcont=1,"IP","isp.cingular
NOTE: type the intialization string with no spaces exactly as above

Step 4: Right click "My Network Places" --> Properties -->create new network connection (upper right) --> connect to internet --> Next --> setup connection manually --> Next --> connect using dial up networking --> next--> (select only the modem that you queryed it should be on a com port) --> next --> ISP NAME ( what ever you want to call it) --> Next --> Phone number --> *99# --> next --> Username --> (all caps) [email address] --> password --> (all caps) CINGULAR1--> confirm --> next --> next

Step 5: Give it a shot... and good luck.. but make sure that BB Device manager is running and your 8700C is connected. Otherwise it won't work.

Good luck.."